- About us
- Visas and migration
- Consular Services for Australians
- Travelling to Australia
- Study in Australia
- Doing business with Australia
- About Australia
- OECD Delegation
- UNESCO Delegation
- Australia- France relationship
- Australian Consulate, Noumea
- Travel advice
- Register with us
DRIVING IN FRANCE
TOURISTS AND SHORT TERM RESIDENTS
If you are a tourist or short-term resident (less than 12 months), you can legally drive in France provided you have both a valid Australian State or Territory driving license AND a valid international driving permit (that you must obtain before leaving Australia)
LONG TERM RESIDENTS
During the first twelve months of residency
Long term residents may legally drive in France provided they have both a valid Australian State or Territory driving license AND a valid international driving permit.
After the first twelve months of residency
Long term residents CAN NO LONGER legally drive in France on Australian driving licenses. They must either stop driving or obtain a French driving license.
Exchanging an Australian driving license for a French driving license
Long term residents may exchange their Australian driving license for a French driving license provided that they:
1. Apply for the exchange during the FIRST twelve months of residency in France.
2. Possess a French titre de sejour.
Documents required for the exchange, which is applied for at one’s local Prefecture of Police include originals and photocopies of the following documents: (the below list is suggested guidelines of what the local prefecture may request).
- Possession of a valid state/territory driving license
- Translation of the driving license by a certified translator.
- A letter from the relevant state/territory licensing authority stating when the license was first issued with licence history record
- Translation of the above letter by a certified translator.
- A valid French carte de sejour
- A valid Australian passport
- Proof of address (utility bill)
- 4 photos and color copies of your IDs
- For further Information please consult the following website : http://www.prefecturedepolice.interieur.gouv.fr/Vos-demarches/Permis-de-conduire-et-papiers-du-vehicule